- A leader who understands the needs of his or her followers: This quality deals with the ability of a particular leader to be on the same page with the various needs of the people that he or she leads. Understanding their needs will help such a leader to find better and appropriate ways of attending to such needs. This is a quality that followers always try to find in a leader as each and every individual craves for a person who will provide a shoulder for him or her in times of need. It is therefore very essential as a leader to be understanding and caring about the individual lives of your followers.
- A leader who gives his or her followers the freedom to make their own decisions and make contributions based on the individual might: Leadership has been seen to be an act where an individual tries to inspire others to follow a path that he or she has chosen and as such it does not require you to have any kind of control over your followers. As a result, followers are always more comfortable with a leader who allows them the freedom to make decisions with regards to whether they want to go in the same direction as that of the leader or not and also allow them to contribute their might without being forced to satisfy a laid down the rating scale.
- A leader who is emotionally supportive of their followers: When leading a group of people whom you expect to put in their best in order to achieve targets that have been set, it is very essential that you also take into consideration the emotional stability of your followers. People who are emotionally stable are always able to put in their maximum best towards the achievement of the goals of a group. This is why followers always feel more relaxed and at home when they have a leader who cares much about their emotional stability and does all that they can to support them emotionally during those times that their emotions are tested.
- A leader who is totally committed towards the achievement of the goals of the group: People who decide out of their own free will to follow a particular person as their leader will only do so when they are able to notice that the leader is fully committed to the goals that have been set. It is not very common to see people following a person who cannot stay committed to an objective and chooses to change his or her targets every now and then. Such a leader is always seen as having no definite aim and therefore followers are always wary of taking after him or her.
- A leader who is trustworthy: This is one major quality that every individual who decides to follow a particular person as his or her leader looks out for. Followers want to be in the company of a leader whom they can trust with all of their problems. A leader who is trustworthy is the one who does not divulge any discussions that he or she had with any of the followers. When followers find out that they can confide in a leader with regards to the problems that they face as individuals and not be afraid of the secrets getting out, they do all they can to ensure that the objectives of the group are realized.
- A leader who knows where they are coming from and where they are going as a group: To lead people without being fully aware of where the group even started from and the targets that they want to achieve is like telling the followers that you are taking them for a ride. Those who choose to follow a person do so only when the leader lets them see the problems at hand and the things that need to be done in order to correct such problems.
Qualities That People Do Look For In A Leader
Qualities that people do look for in a leader. The act of leading a group of people towards the achievement of certain desired goals has been critically analyzed by a lot of people with the sole aim of trying to find out the qualities that almost each and every follower tries to look out for in a supposed leader. On this basis, it can be said that there really are various qualities that every follower will look out for in a person who seeks to lead them. However, taking a critical look at the various qualities, one will realize that six main ones cut across all that people try to attribute with good leadership.
You are now in a better position as a leader to know the qualities that people do look for in a leader.